Mobile Home Fire Safety
A mobile home owner must be even more vigilant against fires than a house owner. When mobile homes catch on fire, they tend to be total losses due to the small nature of their structure. Fires spread rapidly through densely packed mobile home contents and the structure itself intensifies heat and smoke buildup. These design differences allow the fire to spread quicker and cuts down on the time an occupant has to try and escape.
Mobile Home Furnaces
To guard against fires, mobile home owners should have their furnaces inspected at least once a year. You should also clean the blower and filters often to prevent overheating. Keep the furnace area clear of clutter. Never use your furnace space as a storage area, and never use your furnace as a clothes dryer.
Mobile Home Electrical Systems
Mobile home wiring and appliances should be in good working order. Faulty wiring is one of the leading causes of mobile home fires. Make sure, if you get a new major appliance, that your electrical system can handle the job. If you're buying an older mobile home, have an electrical inspector look at the wiring system to make sure it's safe.
And watch out for signs of wiring trouble:
- Flickering lights not due to using big appliances
- Warm, inoperable, strange-smelling or discolored switch plates or outlets
- Sparking or electrical arcing
- A blown fuse or tripped circuit breaker
If you encounter any of these problems, call an electrician immediately.
Mobile home owners should avoid using space heaters if at all possible. Keep space heaters away from drapes, clothing, bedding and other places they might come into contact with flammable materials.
Make sure you have a working smoke detector in your mobile home. If you have bedrooms at opposite ends of the home, you should have a smoke detector at each end.
Your mobile home should be equipped with a working fire extinguisher, conveniently located.
Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG)
If you have a natural gas or liquid propane line coming into your home, be sure to know where the shutoff valve is and how to operate it. Don't keep LPG tanks inside your home, even temporarily. Don't use a gas stove to heat or dry your home. Also, make sure any gas appliances vent to the outside of your home. Gas appliances that vent to the inside of the mobile home can cause death by carbon monoxide poisoning.
Never check a gas line with a match or other open flame. Don't try to hook up a gas line yourself. Leave both tasks to a qualified service technician.
Mobile Home Markings
Make sure your lot is clearly marked. The Fire Department will need to be able to see the numbers on your home in the event of an emergency.
Mobile Home Fire Lawsuits - Accident Legal Help
If you or a loved one have been seriously injured, burned or a loved one has been lost, as the result of a mobile home fire, then please call us to discuss your legal rights to a potential product liability lawsuit. Time is of the essence! In mobile home fire cases, it is very important that the fire scene be preserved and documented as evidence. Please fill out our online form or call us right now: Toll Free 1-800-883-9858.
Click Here for a Free Fire Lawsuit